Different people use different tactics when it comes to moving. While some are confident in preparing months before the moving day, others do the complete opposite. They wouldn’t mind accomplishing any tasks unless moving day is just around the corner. Most often than not, they would hire professional movers and let them take the wheel. If they’re moving from or within New York City, they will just scout for movers in NYC and hire one who suits their needs. But are there really any benefits from moving in a short period of time? Let this article weigh the pros and cons of this subject.
For starters, here are some of the pros you can experience when you move in a short amount period of time:
- You can accomplish tasks in one sitting: Most people choose to declutter their home or pack their valuables if the move is just a week away. The urgency of the move will give them the adrenaline to accomplish all of their tasks in one sitting. If adrenaline usually pushes you to do more, moving in a short period of time might be appropriate for you. You’ll be focused on accomplishing all tasks required in a move, instead of working, resting, working and resting again.
- You won’t have the time to be emotional to any useless items: Sorting out which items to bring and dispose is essential when you’re moving. You’ll have to organize which items are you still using, and which ones can be thrown away or donated. This might seem like an easy task but for people who are already attached to an item such as memorabilia, disposing one can be really hard – no matter how useless the item is. Because of the memories associated with the item, a person might choose to keep the item and bring it during the move.
Moving in a short period of time won’t allow you to do this. You won’t have the time to become emotional over any items. You’ll probably just need a few minutes, look at the condition of an item and decide if this should be kept or thrown. You’ll decide fast because you know time isn’t in your hands.
- You’ll pressure yourself to learn packing hacks: Packing is an essential part of any move. You’ll need to properly pack all of your valuables to maintain its condition. This is especially true when you’re moving long distance. If you’re moving for the first time, you might have zero backgrounds on packing all your valuables. But since you don’t have the time to laze around, you’ll pressure yourself to learn how to pack. You’ll probably do your own research, look for references online and immediately start packing your valuables.
But on the other side of the coin, moving in a short period of time also comes with several setbacks. And some of these are:
- You’ll probably pay for higher moving costs: When you don’t have the time to prepare for a move, you won’t have the opportunity to book for moving companies ahead of time. How can you? You probably don’t know when the exact moving date is. This is one of the most apparent cons you can get when you’re moving in a short period of time. If you’re really planning to hire movers, be ready to prepare to shell out a huge amount of money. Last minute move can be costly.
- You’ll be stressed – a lot: When you don’t have the luxury of time to prepare for a move, be ready to be stressed out. Moving last minute can mean leaving important valuables in your old, not finding any moving companies to accommodate your needs and poorly packing all of your valuables. In worse cases, your valuables might even be damaged or broken which can lead to more costs. If you’re someone who’s already immune to stress, good. You might be able to carry on when you’ll move in a short amount of time. But if you’re not used to experiencing too much stress, be ready to experience a lot of emotional breakdowns during the move.
Take Your Pick
Moving is considered a daunting and time-consuming task. You’ll have a long list of to-dos before, during and after the move. If you’re one of those people who prefer moving within a short amount of time, go ahead and continue your ways. If you’re still eyeing to use this technique in your next move, be prepared for the possible cons you might experience along the way. Start scouting for solutions to minimize the risks.