There is nothing more beautiful than early spring after a long and cold winter. Alas, the joy of this beautiful transformation in nature often comes along with one unsettling notion- the imminent spring cleaning. It is just one of those things you know you have to do, you know it’s good for both you and your home, but it requires so much effort that you just keep putting it off. Once you fall into the trap of procrastination, you will start obsessing with spring-cleaning without actually doing anything, which will get you trapped in an endless loop.
Luckily, it doesn’t have to be that way. With just a bit of organization and one or two cleaning tricks up your sleeve, you can turn this arduous chore into something simple and even fun. Here are few examples.
Start with the kitchen
In some lines of work, people prefer to leave the hardest task for last, but for spring cleaning this is not the best of ideas. You should start with the hard part and tackle the dirty kitchen while you still have enough energy. Because of the cooking fumes, spices, grease and otherwise made stains, you will have quite a bit of work on your hands.
- Start with the large surfaces like floors, countertops and walls and then proceed to wipe the separate elements and appliances in your kitchen.
- These elements are usually things like a sink, dishwasher and disposal which have to be disinfected and sanitized.
- A stove is definitely the place where you should finish. If you were to map your kitchen according to the amount of dirt that accumulates in it, the stove would definitely be its epicenter.Therefore, ending with it will prevent you from spreading the grease and dirt to the rest of your kitchen.
Keep in mind that your kitchen is still the place where most of your food will be made, so restrain from using any harmful chemicals while cleaning it. You can use them to clean the floor (if you have to), but don’t make that mistake when it comes to your oven or countertops. A simple solution of soap, vinegar, bleach and baking soda mixed in hot water will suffice.
You could also talk to the experts offering cleaning services in Sydney, if you want to learn more about safe-to-use commercial cleaning solutions, or if you want someone to do this for you.
Proceed to the bathroom
Your next stop is the bathroom, where you will have a bit less work. Here, you don’t have to be as careful with chemicals (even though there are much safer cleaning solutions for this as well). Seeing how this is usually the smallest room in the house and that most of it is in tiles (that are relatively simple to clean) you won’t have much work here. However, since the risk of mold and corrosion is much higher here, you need to be quite meticulous. Your main points of interest here should be the sink, shower/tub and toilet.
The rest of the home
After you have this done, the rest of the home is a walk in the park.
- Hallways usually don’t require much maintenance. Your tasks here will be to clean the floors, wash the carpets (better yet, have someone else do it for you) and vacuum the place.
- In the living room your tasks will be to declutter the floor, vacuum it, and most importantly, clean the furniture. Cleaning the chairs and couches in the room will be by far the most demanding task you will face, but keep in mind that this is not something you are expected to do every day or even every month.
- Pretty much the same goes for your bedroom and home-office (if you have one).
- Finally, you need to clean the windows throughout the house. Most people prefer to do this either at the very beginning or the very end.
Does the spring cleaning have to take the most of your day? Probably, but what you need is to try putting this into perspective. You are supposed to handle the tasks you have been avoiding the entire year. Therefore, when you compare the effort invested with the relief you will feel afterwards, it definitely doesn’t seem too much to handle. Finally, no one is preventing you from turning this housecleaning into a family activity, so invite some friends to keep you company and help out, or just play your favorite playlist during the entire cleaning. This way, it will all be over in an instant.