When it comes to a move, packing can be the most stressful part – especially when it comes to fragile items. Packing up valuables, antiques, and large breakables can be scary, but there are ways to make the whole process easier and ensure your valuables arrive in perfect condition.
Plan & Give Yourself Time
Give yourself time! It’s easy to keep putting off packing, especially your fragile items because it’s tedious and you may be scared that the longer they’re packed the more likely they are to get broken, but giving yourself that extra time by planning ahead and packing your fragile items early on can ensure that you give them the care they need.
- Make a list in advance of your fragile items, especially your valuable or sentimental pieces that need extra attention.
- If an item is large, antique or is an awkward shape or size it may be helpful to do some research to figure out the best way to pack and protect your valuables for your move.
- If you don’t use the item regularly, pack it first, taking your time to ensure that you pack it properly and with enough protective materials.
Get the Right Packing Materials
While it’s super eco-friendly and great to reuse all those Amazon and delivery boxes you get over the years, and pad items with old grocery bags or newspapers – when it comes to your most fragile items you don’t want to skimp. Make sure you have the right packing materials for your particular items and make sure they’re good quality to avoid any mishaps like an old box breaking or not providing enough cushioning. For packing fragile items, consider investing in:
- Good quality moving boxes – they should be sturdy, new or like new and the proper size to fit your item without too much extra space.
- Bubble wrap, packing paper, flexible cardboard or foam inserts. Choose the right material for the item you’re packing – some require more support in which case a foam insert may be helpful, while others like plates and glasses will require paper or bubble wrap between items when stacking.
- Good quality, strong packing tape. Now’s not the time to skimp on that dollar store masking tape. Avoid a disaster like the bottom of your box opening or the top collapsing in when stacked by ensuring you have the best support for your boxes.
If you have cumbersome items or are having a difficult time securely packing your fragile valuables – consider the help of a moving company like Simple Moves. Many moving companies offer packing services by trained professionals who can ensure that your items are properly packed to survive the trip to their new home!
Whether you hire a moving company or you’re moving with the help of friends it’s important that you (and whoever is helping you move) are aware of any boxes that contain fragile items. Make sure you label any boxes containing your valuables as fragile in multiple places on the box (top, sides, etc) and if you want to be more detailed list the type of item inside – dishes, vase, TV, etc. Detailed labelling will help whoever is moving that box ensure they move that item and store it in the moving truck with the care that it needs.
Enlist the Help of Your Movers
When in doubt, enlisting the help of a moving company like Arrowsmith Moving & Storage can be a great idea. If you have a lot of large fragile or difficult to move items, or you just aren’t quite sure how to properly pack and transport your delicate items; a moving company can make the process quick, easy and seamless.