A beautiful and hygienic household is determined by its proper drainage system. If a well-flowing drainage system is not maintained, then it may lead to dirt and pollution giving rise to many diseases. Therefore, it is very much important to check the drain blockages time to time in order to maintain cleanliness and to avoid unhygienic dirt and health issues.
What Are the Causes of Blocked Drains?
- Falling of hair: Hair is a major culprit of blocked drains which carries with its other sticky substances and forms clogs. To prevent this, all your drains should have guards to catch the hairs and later on you can clean them with plunger. You need to use bins in your bathroom to store your foreign particles like, soaps, shampoo pouches and shaving kits. do not try to flush out hair and other particles through your drains.
- Falling of Soap: Soaps are basically made with grease which when combines with minerals in water leave a hard remnant that clog the pipes. In this regard, you can use liquid body washes to prevent clogging of the pipes. Else you need to use proper storage system to store your soaps and washing chemicals.
- Unnecessary dirt: The drains and pipes are not always capable of washing away all the dirt substances. The unnecessary dirt should be extracted during washing utensils to avoid drain blockage.
- Falling of tree leaves and other dirt: During the autumn seasons, a huge amount of dead leaves may fall on your outdoor drains causing a blockage. These leaves fall on your drain should be removed regularly to avoid blocked drains.
- Disposal of toilet papers and sanitary napkins: People have the habit of disposing of the toiletries by flushing them down the toilet. These items absorb moisture when gets immersed with water and becomes larger, thus blocking the drains more quickly and easily.
The pipes should be installed and placed in the proper manner to promote healthy water flow and reduce blockages. In this case, you need to clean your drainage system by trained professionals, and you must maintain the hygiene of your bathroom.
Tips for Cleaning Blocked Drains
#1) Pouring of boiling water: It is one of the easiest and quickest ways to unblock the drains and pipes. Pouring a pot of boiling water is enough to dissolve the blockage without undertaking other drastic measures. Boiling water should be used only in metallic pipes, and you can use warn water to clean your PVC pipes.
#2) Using natural cleanser: You can make a mixture of baking soda and vinegar and pour it down the pipes. After pouring, cover the drain to prevent the mixture from coming out of the pipe. The chemical reaction of the mixture will then produce oxygen which will clear up the pipes. This process should be repeated to get rid of the blocked drain entirely.
#3) Using chemical cleanser: You can also use caustic chemical drain cleaners which are capable of dissolving grease, food, hair, and other substances. These chemicals are harmful to our health and surroundings, so while working with chemical cleaners, you must protect your hands and face.
#4) Using a plunger: A plunger can be used by creating up-and-down pressure which helps to loosen any blockages, clearing the pipes to flow smoothly as earlier. The plunger is not effective on grease substances or mineral deposits, and you can plug out the solid substances from your drainage system with plunger.
Hydro-jets discharges a strong stream of water through the pipes and the pressure created by this stream forces the blockages to flow through the pipes along with the water. Instead of using the hydro-jet by you, it is likely better to leave this task to a professional plumber for proper execution.